Saturday, September 6, 2003

Ok just another day in Colins life where he has to go out and party it up. This time he chose to go to a special event at a club called AD in LA. It was about 8 blocks off of sunset blvd, closer to a residential area. During the day you wouldn’t even know that it was a club. The only reason I saw it was because there was a line to get in and the mapquest directions helped. I parked the car deep in the residential area, in hopes that I wouldn’t get towed; ignoring that everyone else had street permits. Had a few drinks in the car for some pregame and by pass the expected $10 drinks waiting to greet us on the inside. The night consisted of me and one friend. 2 hours later from SD, we had arrived in LA



When I got to the line it was maybe 15 people deep. This is a good sign, be inside in 5 minutes. Not bad. Well that was not the case. It was a typical LA line where the only way you get in was either be hand picked to enter or be on the guest list. There were 3 people with clip boards to verify if you were on the guest list. Not an easy task trying to butter your way in, cause they all had attitude. I’m sure they’ve heard every stray line to get past the velvet ropes. When people in front of us figured out they didn’t fit in either of those access methods, they scoffed and left. The line slowly shrunk down. Good for me, cause I’m getting closer to the door. 20 minutes passed and there still was no admittance from the regular line. The VIP line on the other hand had people swarming in. I looked at them and couldn’t figure out what gave them the edge. OK, maybe if your name is Chris Judd, the guy that just divorced JLo. Then you might get special treatment. Some one had to point him out to me. Cool, a celeb. Who would ever think of seeing a celeb in LA? But what about me! It wasn’t even 5 minutes later one of the Backstreet boys walks in, only having to give up a few hugs and hand shakes. Ok I think he has something over me. 10 minutes later the line shrinks even more. Its down to me and 4 loud ass biatches in front of me. “yo! When wees go-in da getin?” the sistahs yell. I was obvious that attitude was only going to cost you more time in the line. But I was actually having fun watching the celebs enter. It was about 30 minutes in line when Seth Green was standing directly beside me getting his small clan into the club. He’s the guy that plays Dr.Evils kid in Austin Powers. He’s a short guy, but of course he gets instant access. He stares me up and down and blows me off like some punk that has nothing on him. I tell him to “sh!”

All this waiting and watching the entire city of LA walk in, I was starting to get edgy.



After about 45 minutes in line, I was starting to get discouraged and figure they weren’t going to let any of the public in. Keep in mind no one from the public line has entered yet. At that point the large lady that gets her power from her clip board says to the line. “No cameras tonight”. I was like, “whats the point if we never get in?” she feels stupid and walk away. As she does, a pickup truck pulls up in front of the club and parks not10 feet from the entrance. Once parked 2 blonde girls get out and then the driver. All 3 walk directly beside me and straight into the club. My draw drops. I stutter and complete recognize the first girl. Low and behold its Brittany Spears. Why was I on the only person in line that couldn’t believe who I just saw? Now I really had to get into the club.

Not but 5 minutes later, the velvet rope drops and the bouncer asks for ID. I’m finally in. $15 cover wasn’t bad. Once in, it was well worth the wait. My first reaction when I got in was; “there’s no one here”. The place was as mellow as a star bucks at 3pm. Nice lounging area connected to a half circle bar. By this time I was sober as an AA meeting and off to get my first drink. “One Heineken please”, I pound the bottle in 10 seconds slam the empty down. My reward; $11 dollars change from a 20 spot. Yah, uh, that’s my last beer at this place.

The lounge was connected to another area guarded a bouncer and rope. That’s where the celebs party. Oh well. Guess I wont be seeing any of the high class in this place. So I go and check out the rest of the club. Up the stairs I walk and into an Irish type bar theme area where the tables and floor are all wood and connected to a bar. Behind the bar is the roof and smoking area. Both areas have DJs spinning 80’s and reggae music. Passing this area I walked onto a balcony that over looked the main dance floor that had hip-hop. I decide to check it out and walk over to the DJ booth that sits on the same balcony over looking the entire dance floor. To the left and right of the DJ area are 2 other private booths to dance and over look the main crowd. I checked out the DJ and his setup. Nice hardware. Elaborate light control system, amps, turn tables, vinyl and CD units. Across from the booth on the other side of the dance floor was a stage elevated a few feet of the dance floor. Standing behind the DJ booth is where I chilled most of the night. I’m not into hip hop and the advertised flyer said that the house music started at 2am. It was 12pm, so for the mean time I just entertained myself with the DJ mixes. Maybe 10 minutes of standing there, out of the corner of my eye, in the private booth to the left of the DJ I noticed one of the blonde girls from the pickup truck. It was Brittany. Nice! I looked at the entrance of her booth and there stood her 350 pound body guard. Guess I won’t be going in there to introduce myself. It did enter my mind to start something with the guy and make the next episode of ET. But figure it was a lost battle. She was about 8 feet from me. She’s was warring an Andy cap type hat, a pink tank and jean shorts. Nothing special. Later that week, I read in an article that the other girl was her sister, celebrating her birthday. The same article talks about her smoking for the first time in the public eye. I saw it too. The entire night she was smoking. That kind of surprised me. At this point I watched her dance. Rumor has it she can dance. 20 minutes later a small dance show went on stage and tore it up. It was quite entertaining. Like a scene from Michael Jackson thriller. All choreographed with 3 sets of 6 dancers. I was impressed. And I’m sure Brittany pulled a few moved off of them. Since she was caught up watching the show, I ignored the camera rule and pulled out my disposable. But the fool that I am, I bought a camera with no flash. I discretely made out like paparazzi and emptied the roll in hopes that a light scanned through the area as I took a shot. I still haven’t developed the camera.

The rest of the night went on with nothing really more to add, but come to a disappointing end when they shut down the place at 2am. There was no house music. Placed closed with no after hours. It was a long and eventful ride back to SD. But none the less, another day in the life of Colin.

No comments:

Post a Comment